Thursday, July 17, 2008

American Idol Concert!!!

So Kiki and I got to go to this concert in Salt Lake City Monday night. All I can say is WOW!!! We had so much fun! Most of them were completely awesome! It was the loudest concert I have EVER been to! SO much screaming, especially for David A. The screaming didn't stop AT ALL the whole time he was on stage. I've never seen anything like it. I'm not kidding when I say I think I have permanent hearing damage.

Here's my order of faves, with commentary:
1. David A.--he sounded sooooo unbelievably awesome! And his stage presence just keeps getting better and better! He's moving more and is exuding more confidence. He's very humble still, though, and would chuckle between songs at all the applause and screaming. He was so adorable! He even cried at the end of "When You Say You Love Me" because of all the applause and screaming, then said "See what you made me do!" He loved singing for his home crowd. SO cute! I can't wait for his CD to come out!
2. David C.--sounded awesome. Total opposite of David A. as far as receiving applause, etc.--he eats it up and even did this one long part where the band just kept playing this interlude while he went to each section of the stage to get applause and screaming from each side of the audience. I'm sure I will buy his CD, too.
3. Michael J.--loved his performances! Such a great stage presence!
4. Brooke W.--sounded better than any time on the show. I would go see her in person any time, just would like it in a smaller setting so I could hear her better. Her rendition of "Yellow" was amazing!
5. Jason C.--love his singer/songwriter vibe. He sounded great, too.
6. Carly S.--sounded great! Such a powerful voice.
7. Chikezie--gets my award for most improved! Wow! He was so fun to watch and sounded really good!
8. Kristy Lee--sounded better than on the show. Don't like the way she stands, though. Dumb little criticism, I know.
9. Syesha--sounded good but just didn't hold my attention. I think part of the problem is she did such recent songs and, let's face it, she is definitely no Rihanna, Alicia Keys, or Beyoncé!
10. Ramielle--I wanted to like her. She's so cute. But she sounded really bad--lots of pitch problems--and had zero stage presence. Just plain boring.

If any of you are wondering what each contestant is singing on the tour, here's the setlist:

Chikezie:
1, “I Believe to My Soul” (Donny Hathaway)
2, “Caught Up” (Usher)
3, “So High” (John Legend)
Ramiele Malubay:
4, “I Want You Back” (The Jackson Five)
5, “Love Will Lead You Back” (Taylor Dayne)
6, “If I Never See Your Face Again” (Maroon 5 featuring Rihanna)
Michael Johns:
7, “We Will Rock You”/”We Are the Champions” medley (Queen),
8, “It’s All Wrong But It’s All Right” (Dolly Parton)
9, “Dream On” (Aerosmith)
Kristy Lee Cook:
10, “Squeezin’ the Love Outta You” (Carolyn Dawn Johnson)
11, “God Bless the USA” (Lee Greenwood)
12, “Cowgirls” (Kerry Harvick)
Carly Smithson:
13, “Bring Me to Life” (Evanescence)
14, “Crazy on You” (Heart)
15, “I Drove All Night” (Cyndi Lauper)
Brooke White:
16, “Let It Be” (The Beatles)
17, “1234″ (Feist)
18, “Yellow” (Coldplay)
Group medley (just the bottom 6):
“Pride (In the Name of Love)” (U2)
Intermission
Jason Castro:
“Over the Rainbow” (Israel Kamakawiwo’ole version)
“Crazy” (Gnarls Barkley)
“Daydream” (The Lovin’ Spoonful)
Syesha Mercado:
“Umbrella” (Rihanna)
“If I Ain’t Got You” (Alicia Keys)
“Listen” (BeyoncĂ©)
David Archuleta:
“Angels” (Robbie Williams)
“Apologize” (OneRepublic)
“Stand by Me”/”Beautiful Girls” (Ben E. King/Sean Kingston)
“When You Say You Love Me” (Josh Groban)
David Cook:
“Hello” (Lionel Richie)
“The Time of My Life” (2008 “American Idol” Songwriter’s Competition winner; first single for David Cook)
“I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing” (Aerosmith)
“My Hero” (Foo Fighters)
“Billie Jean” (Chris Cornell version of Michael Jackson song)
Group encore:
“Don’t Stop the Music” (Rihanna)

Just so you can get a taste of what it was like while David A. was performing, check out this video:


I'm so glad we got to go to the concert together! One of my favorite concerts so far!

2 thought(s) shared. Share yours!:

amiee said...

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG you were NOT kidding!!! I had to turn my computer volume all the way down b/c the screaming HURT my EARS! LOL. WOW.

I went to AI concert when Kelly Clarkson & Clay Aiken came to SLC. It was fun. and guess who went with me--TODD!!! hahahah we had a good ol' time.

sgwinfrey said...

This was such a fun post to read. I loved your run down of everyone. Good to hear that some of the not so good Idols improved. Kristy was torture on the show. I didn't care for her 'Proud to be an American' song and think the original one is better. I can't wait until CDs start coming out so I can get some of these songs.
It sounds like you had the best time in UT.