That's how many freaking car wrecks I've been in now!
I took a ride with my mom to go pick up my Maw-maw to go bring her halfway to my Aunt Patty's but we only got 15 min. from my parents' house before we got in a pretty bad wreck. It was raining and this guy behind us hydroplaned, lost control of his car and hit us from behind. I was on the phone with my dad when all of the sudden my mom was looking in her rear-view mirror and screaming and saying, "He's gonna hit us!" Before I knew it, we were headed for the left side concrete guard rail (we were in the right lane) and we both started screaming. [So my dad heard us screaming, then the phone hung up.] We crashed in to that side (going at least 65 mph), crossed the interstate, and slammed into the right side concrete barrier. [Sound familiar? Yeah, that's because it's almost exactly what happened when Jared and I got in a wreck in Utah Christmas Night 2002! What the h*%#?!!]
So the airbags deployed, of course, and there was smoke so my mom was FREAKING out and yelling to get out of the car. So she gets out, was standing out in the rain, looking at the car and screaming like a banshee. I'm laughing about it now but it was freaking me out! So, of course, my dad called back and my mom was still screaming but I was trying to stay calm because I didn't want him to freak out, too. Last thing I heard him say was "Well, I'm leaving here and I don't care what they say!" hee hee! So he left work and headed our way.
It took a good bit for my mom to calm down. I thought she was gonna hyperventilate! I was so worried about her, though, that it kept me from freaking out. Thankfully, an off-duty paramedic stopped to help a bit before the cops and ambulance got there. Let me just tell you that the car was TOTALED! Even worse than when Jared and I got in that wreck--I know some of you have seen those pics. I didn't have my camera so I took some crappy pics with my cell phone so I'll put them on here later if I can.
We decided to go to the hospital and get checked out, especially because of my existing neck and back injuries. They strapped us onto the gurneys and everything. Those neck braces are very uncomfortable and I had to wear it for at least an hour, until they took some x-rays of my neck and I was cleared to take it off. Then, they took more x-rays of my neck and back. They said they didn't see anything major with either of so we waited to be discharged and they gave us each some Lortab for the pain. I am already in pain in my chest (from the seat belt--that'll leave a mark!), my neck, back, and butt (not sure why on that one). I know tomorrow will be worse and they 3rd day is typically the worst. I will probably ended asking my dr. for an MRI--my existing injuries were only seen using an MRI, not an x-ray.
Jared "won't let me" drive home, especially since it has still been raining, so I'm staying at my parents' tonight and I think my dad and brother will take me home tomorrow. I just wanted to post this tonight because, from past experience, even though I don't feel that great right now, the next few days are going to be miserable.
I am thankful to still be alive, though--I thought for sure that, since we hit the 2nd side pretty much straight on, that we were going to flip up, end up in the swamp, and get eaten by an alligator--my mom said she thought the exact same thing. I must have some major work to do here on Earth since I always come out fairly unscathed from all the close calls! Gives me chill bumps. I am starting to wonder what's wrong with me, though, that I attract so many car wrecks--especially when other people are driving. So, if you are ever driving me around and I am constantly "sucking wind" (as Jared says) or clutching the door handle, you'll know why! It's called Post Traumatic Stress Disorder! I already had fears while riding with other people and now it's gonna be tenfold. But, I'm still alive...I'm still alive!
Friday, August 01, 2008
5 Five FIVE!!!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 thought(s) shared. Share yours!:
I am SOOOO glad that y'all are OK.
I was so worried when Nikki called me and told me. I can't believe that you have been in so many accidents. It is kind of bizarre. I can't imagine how much mom was freaking out.
I hope you are too miserable! I am so sorry for you back!
Oh my gosh Dana ... I'm so sorry you had to go through another accident, but I'm so happy that both you and your mother were able to leave the scene and the hospital in one piece. You must have a guardian angel for sure. Oh and my guess on why your bottom is hurting might be that you probably clenched your muscles when you realized what was happening ... therefore leaving you feeling sore. I know when I had my accident my bottom ached for days afterward. I hope you feel better soon.
Tania
wow. what an awful experience but so glad you and your mom were okay. hugs and prayers.
glad you and your mom are ok. I know when i was in my accident i couldnt tell kevin where i was even though i was pretty much at the entrance of my subdivision! Hope you are not feeling too much pain!
Post a Comment