Thursday, November 15, 2007

Choir Concert, Raised Fish Pond

I joined the Livingston Parish Adult Community Choir a couple months ago and our concert was this past Sunday. We did a couple of patriotic songs, in honor of Veteran's Day, and some Christmas music. The Apprentice Choir (kindergarten through 2nd grade) sang a few songs and joined us in our final song, as well; they were so cute! I played the snare drum for one of the songs, "Pat-a-Pan". It was so fun to be able to play percussion again, even though it was a very simple part. My mom, dad, brother, SIL, and niece all came to see me sing and play. So sweet of them! Here are some pics from the concert and after:

I'm in the second row up, on the left end: Jared and Belle, after the concert:
Belle just wanted to play with my drum sticks:
My concert guests (Mom, Dad, SIL, brother, niece):
My sweetie and I:
And here's a video of part of the song for which I played the snare drum:


A friend of mine just moved from a house where she had a coi pond to a house that doesn't have a pond yet. Her daughter is one of my piano students. She was afraid the fish and plants wouldn't make it through the winter in the kiddie pool she had them in, and we were looking to get more fish (had bought 3 coi and several goldfish but only 1 coi, 1 goldfish, and one "boggle-eyed" fish survived), so we worked out a deal to exchange three piano lessons for all of her fish and plants. I think there are 7 or 8 coi and another little fish of some kind. There are three potted plants and two different kinds of floating plants (still need to learn the plant names). The main pump broke, so we will work on getting that fixed but, in the meantime, this is what it looks like:
The log and plants on top of the waterfall, as well as the tube running into the water and the electric cord running out, are part of an aquarium filter and will not be there once we get the main pump fixed:

The floating plants bloom these gorgeous purple flowers:
The fish are SUPER hard to get good pics of. Here's the best I could do for now:
I'm excited to have the pond up and running and to have more fish to look at. One of the first things I do in the morning is go and look at the pond. We've had the windows open for most of the past three weeks and it is so relaxing to hear the water flowing down into the pond. I'm glad to get all the water plants, too, to help keep the fish warm and alive through the winter (if it ever actually cools down here!).

Today is the coolest it's been in weeks (in the 60's today and may get down to the 50's tonight). Yesterday was pretty warm and humid, so today was a nice change--beautiful, low-humidity, breezy day. I need to gear up for the next two weeks of Utah weather, though! Speaking of which, we fly out really early on Monday. I'm super excited to see our family there!!!

5 thought(s) shared. Share yours!:

Murphy's Law said...

oooooooooooo looks like everyone had fun. i so wish i could sing or play an instrument. you are soooo talented.

amiee said...

hey, i have to say that you are awesome for joining community choir. I wouldn't even have known that it existed!!! I need to be more involved with singing than I am, too. You are motivating me!

Anonymous said...

Oh wow! I love your performance, Dana! YOu did a wonderful job! And the fish, they are just gorgeous!

Plain Jame said...

Oh I love that video of you playin the drums!!! I used to play percussion 6th-9th grades!
I love the koi pond too, how awesome! Watch out for birds that may come feast on your fish!

Kikibug said...

Dana, GREAT JOB! I am so proud of you for doing that!! Really!! That is great! Way to not let your talent be hidden or waisted.
The fish pond is amazing. Hey! I get to see your house in a month! Hurray! Even more exciting, we get to see YOU tomorrow!!